From the Foothills of Mt. Meru

Sitting at the foothills of Mt. Meru, International School of Moshi (ISM) Arusha Campus is host to 16 Primary 1 (P1) students.
Coming from across the globe we have arrived at ISM with great excitment for learning and contagious laughter.
This site aims to serve as a connection between our classroom and homes. We're excited to share with you our learning...



Monday, September 13, 2010

We had a lovely first day in P1 today!


After reading It’s Okay To Be Different by Todd Parr we talked about what makes us special. This learning journey we are starting together is exciting! As a class we talked about how important it is to learn about the friends we will be with throughout the year. The following are some of the responses to the question, “What makes you different?”

“My dad is a Kung Fu teacher.”

“I have skirts and dresses and boys don’t.”

“My dad works in an office.”

“I like to run!”

“I like to watch TV.”

“I like to play around with my brother.”

“I get to have candy every Saturday and Sunday.”

“I have a trampoline at home. When I jump it makes me feel like I am jumping in bed.”

“My dad always takes me to buy ice cream.”

“My dad is building me a castle…all of you can come play.”

For Literacy today students had an opportunity to share with me what they know about spelling words. This information is helpful for me as I continue to prepare differentiated literacy instruction for your students. While sharing the poetry that is brought home each week, ask your student letter names and sounds. For many of the letters, students have learned an action that helps them remember the sound the letter makes. Our poem for the beginning of the week is This Little Piggy; the students have picked up on this poem quickly and are adding more sight words every day!

In Math we are working on graphing in addition to forward and backward counting. With Ms. Ilona 1P made a number of different graphs. Pictographs have been made showing which animals students like best (lions or tigers), how many people are in our families, how we get to and from school, who likes chips compared to who likes pizza, and what sports we like best (stop in our classroom to see them). Today we made a graph with our shoes! First we looked at all of our shoes and decided we could put them into three categories (laces, Velcro, and other). We made a graph and discovered there were more students with laces on their shoes than Velcro or ‘other’ (those wearing sandals, having buckles, or Eayle’s crocks). We are using the words ‘more than’, ‘less than’ a lot as we talk about our graphs. See if your P1 student can use these words in comparing things around your home or town.



We also made banners today! Students again practiced writing their names and sharing three important things about themselves. We learned things about each person in P1. For example, we learned Simone likes the beach, Neel really likes water slides that drop into deep water, and Eayle likes puppies. Tomorrow we will be talking more about what makes our families special.

I want to thank all of you for being patient in my arrival and for warmly welcoming to P1 and Arusha. I very much look forward to working with all of your children. It is a privilege to be a part of this very important learning journey with your child.

Please contact me with any comments or questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment